In 1907, a group of Christians in Magdalena petitioned the Presbytery of the Rio Grande to become the First Presbyterian Church of Magdalena. Parishioners originally met in what was termed “the old red school house” while a more permanent facility was built.
Elizabeth “Bessie” Cameron Mactavish, wife of one of the founding members, used the money she received for her eggs and milk to purchase three lots of land along Main Street. Local miners provided the labor to excavate a basement area for later use. The foundation is a traditional rubble foundation made of large rocks held together with mortar. The sanctuary was built atop the large floor beams that run across the width of the sanctuary. A central beam supported by posts in the basement helps to support these floor beams. The sanctuary building was completed in the fall of 1907.
The interior is large and airy with excellent acoustics. There are sixteen pews to hold six people each. The floor is tongue and groove. The Communion table sits below the pulpit which is on a raised platform so people can more easily see the worship leaders. All of these features are original to the church building.